Tuesday 23 May 2017

These are a few of my favourite things...

These are a few of my favourite things…
I thought I would do a light hearted reflection this week before a more serious post when I am actually finished. So here are some things I’ve loved…

Favourite Restaurant: Bardellis
This is the place to go if you want amazing food and a slightly crazy atmosphere, so naturally I am taking my family here on Saturday! It is an Italian restaurant that does pizza with cold avocado on top, which is an amazing combination. I have been twice now, both for goodbye meals and had a brilliant time. When we went for Danielle’s meal - we witnessed the manager give every table including ours a free bottle of wine and when he was done pouring them he would smash a bottle on the ground by the fire. This is only a bit safer than it sounds, not near people! Many hilarious memories made there.

Favourite Museum: Slave Lodge
Talked about the Slave Lodge in my touristy blog post in the first half of my trip and have recommended it to all the new volunteers who have come since. The divisive history of South Africa lingers heavily still. When I talk to the young people in the detention facilities it is clear their opinions have been passed down generations.

Favourite Tourist Site: Table Mountain
Can’t wait to take my family to Table Mountain, a second time for all of us. But hopefully first time, weather permitting for us to watch the sun go down. Beautiful doesn’t seem a big enough word to describe the view and peaceful atmosphere at the top. Look forward to reflecting on my trip there and saying goodbye to the mountain I have become so accustom to seeing.



Favourite Workshop in Vredilus: Peer Pressure
One of my early workshops at Vredilus was on peer pressure, I think it was the first topic I talked about there. It involved a match up activity, simply words, definitions and pictures. But with a group of 35 teenage girls with big personalities it was a huge success to see them work together in teams to complete the task.
Something I haven’t seen again in my time here at this facility. Although my workshop this week on Refugee’s involved one of the girls remembering what the UN is. I mention the UN in almost every workshop I do, and when I ask in the other places no one can remember even now what it is. But one girl not only remembered but later in the workshop said ‘we should treat everyone as humans no matter where they come from – with respect!’ this was the best thing to hear.

Favourite Workshop in Lindelani: Dancing
I don’t have a favourite workshop in Lindelani but my favourite part of the workshops we do there is the music. We start every workshop with a group game, then present the information whilst having group discussions, ending with music to chill. In theory the music also gives time for the information to sink in, but I think this is very much in theory rather than reality!
Of all the places the boys at Lindelani always get the most involved when the speaker comes on. Whether they are having a dance off all standing in a circle cheering each other on or doing their own thing in their own space it is fabulous to watch. No matter how the workshop has gone this always brings a smile to my face.

Favourite Workshop in Bonnytoun:
You are going to think I am crazy but my favourite workshop at Bonnytoun was last week in the blue group. We were doing the Refugee and Migration topic, talking about xenophobia a view the majority of them understand and carry without hesitation. Whilst the workshop started optimistically with the boys looking at photos of Refugee camps around Africa and saying they wouldn’t want to live there, and they would help refugees it certainly didn’t end that way.

After talking about legal vs illegal immigration and the difference between a migrant and a refugee I finished by asking them what they would do in a refugee crisis if they were president?
You will not be able to guess the response they confidently gave me.

I was told they would take the refugees as personal slaves, the men would be given drugs to sell – they said it was okay for the men to make money on the side for themselves during this process as long as the majority of the money went to them. The women would keep home and cook for everyone (really encouraging to see the presentation on women’s rights and gender stereo types has sunk in!) and the children would be fed until they were old enough to join one or the other.

I said that funnily enough no world leader that I was aware of is currently taking this approach, they said ‘we know Amy but you asked us what WE would do if WE were running the country.’

At this I had to laugh.

After assuring them they wouldn’t get my vote, I had to step back and appreciate that these young boys were thinking about their opinion and articulating their honest view in response to my question. Whilst obviously I wish they had said we would welcome them with open arms and support them in rebuilding their lives in South Africa that was always a long shot.

They look at people who are different to them and instantly judge, many of them said they would shoot a refugee on sight. This breaks my heart on so many levels, both for the victims of their views of which there are many, but also for their absoluteness in their kill or be killed attitude.

So why was this my favourite workshop? Because they engaged! They listened to the information and formulated opinions, they heard both sides of the argument and decided where they stood. I may be on the opposing side every time but for them to care enough about what I am saying to form an opinion is in itself a success. At the end of every workshop we have to write a report, stating the topic, what we did, how it was received and suggestions and tips – for this workshop my suggestion was to keep going. Keep talking about the difficult topics, keep giving information and hope that one day the information about everyone being a human being deserving of dignity and respect will hit home. Until then we must keep going.

Perhaps I would not have been able to write this way earlier in my trip but this is my mind set as I leave. Keep going and keep hoping that education will bring change in these people’s lives.
This is an activity I found whilst doing research for the Amnesty workshops I did at Alderbrook and have used it in all my refugee workshops, think it is such a brilliant resource. Encourage you to spend a few minuets making the decisions refugee families are having to take - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32057601

Favourite Workshop in St Anne’s: Public Speaking
I love talking. This will not come as a surprise to anyone. Nor I suspect will the fact that I enjoy analysing and unpicking the way others do public speaking. So to do a workshop on this meets my idea of fun.
Last week I did a workshop at St Anne’s on communication, covered verbal and non -verbal communication and how to plan a talk. We ended the workshop by asking the women to plan and give a 2 minute talk on something they were passionate about (used a lot of the techniques Lesley Cheese taught me a couple of years ago in her workshop! Thank you!).
It was brilliant to see these shy women stand up in front of the group and share. Several of them spoke about their children or family, one lady spoke about why Fathers should have a role in their children’s lives and one on her previous life as a paramedic. All of them were so surprised at the end that they had managed to do it, am so proud of them.
Not looking forward to saying goodbye this week. Unfortunately this week will not only be my final workshop there but also the end of the connection between Projects Abroad and St Anne’s. So pleased I was able to attend in my time here, wish future volunteers could.

I spoke about Mia – I said Mia is my younger sister by 7 years, she loves twirling in pretty dresses and is currently doing her grades in ice skating. I also mentioned the tremendous role she played in my study, couldn’t have got my grades without all those mind map sessions and walks round Dorridge. LOVE YOU!



Favourite Church: Every Nation
Finally my favourite church, I have now been to 9 different churches but sort of 10 because I went to a Hillsong Service and conference service at a different venue.

But my favourite service in all of this took place at the Baxter Theatre with the Every Nation Church, the same church my home group comes from. It was last Sunday, which is Mother’s Day in South Africa and it turns out most of the world apart from the UK and the talk was about empowering women. Was so powerful to hear about the stereotypes and cultural pressure on women in South Africa to be wives and mothers. In addition to this the negative assumptions that would be placed on a Father if they had ‘too much’ of a role in looking after their children. On top of this the limitations the church place on women, all being broken down in one talk with amazing biblical grounding! So pleased I chose to go to this service.

Before the talk even begun, I was in awe. I don’t know if I have ever experienced anything like it before, the sound of enthusiastic African men and women on stage singing their hearts out, layering their voices and dancing was nothing short of incredible. So wish I had filmed some of it, but didn't want to blink and miss part of the experience. 

There are so many other moments and experiences I could mention in this list! Can't wait to catch up with friends and family when I am home and talk in even more detail about my time in South Africa.

Prayer requests:

- To really step back and notice the details and individuals in the projects this week, focus on remembering this experience as best I can.

- For goodbyes to go as smoothly as possible, especially on Friday when I say goodbye to a lot of the friends I have made here.

- Safe travelling for Mum, Dad and Mia as they fly from Heathrow on Friday evening. 

- Safe travelling for Tom as he flies from Port Elizabeth on Monday morning.

- A brilliant family holiday that celebrates my time here and begins the tough transition home. 

A side note LEA is back! YAY! I am no longer the only volunteer on social justice.

Thank you for making it to the end of my eighteenth blog post, have a lovely week! x

No comments:

Post a Comment